A New Encyclopedia Article on Skylights
GBA Pro members have full access to dozens of informative articles in the GBA Encyclopedia
GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com's library of articles and blogs continues to expand. The newest article to be added to the ever-deeper GBA Encyclopedia covers skylights.
The article pulls together a great deal of information on skylights, including:
- A list of manufacturers of triple-glazed skylights
- The scoop on electrochromic glass
- Using curbs to adjust the skylight installation angle
- GlazingWhen referring to windows or doors, the transparent or translucent layer that transmits light. High-performance glazing may include multiple layers of glass or plastic, low-e coatings, and low-conductivity gas fill. options: glass, plastic, or Aerogel?
- The advantages and disadvantages of tubular skylights
- An assessment of the benefits of skylights (daylightingUse of sunlight for daytime lighting needs. Daylighting strategies include solar orientation of windows as well as the use of skylights, clerestory windows, solar tubes, reflective surfaces, and interior glazing to allow light to move through a structure. and ventilation) as well as their drawbacks (increased heat loss in winter and heat gainIncrease in the amount of heat in a space, including heat transferred from outside (in the form of solar radiation) and heat generated within by people, lights, mechanical systems, and other sources. See heat loss. in summer).
Click here to see the new article on skylights.
Subscribe to GBA to enjoy all of the benefits of GBA Pro membership
While some of the articles in the Encyclopedia — for example, the article on Windows — are available to all readers, others (including the new article on Skylights) are available only to GBA Pro members.