GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Permanent wood foundation (PWF) backfill height?

user-1137156 | Posted in Building Code Questions on

All the documentation I’ve found on PWF basements never shows insulation under the slab floor. The allowed back fill heights are always referenced to the bottom of the bottom plate of the wall which coincidentally is the bottom of the slab.

If under slab insulation is installed after the perimeter PWF walls are in place, the slab will be raised by the thickness of the insulation. With under-slab insulation is the backfill height the height above the slab bottom? or the bottom of the bottom plate?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jerry,
    The difference is only 3 or 4 inches, right? My own reaction is that you are overthinking this. Backfill heights change by 3 or 4 inches all the time -- all it takes is a homeowner to add a flower bed near the foundation to end up with 3 more inches of topsoil. I don't think this matters much.

-- Martin Holladay

2. user-1137156 | | #2

The difference could be 7 or 8 inches if perlite ,in bags, was the insulation.

3. nvman | | #3

When I was an apprentice carpenter, we installed several Preserved Wood Foundations and they were smelly. Have they changed? I wonder how much VOCs they emit?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |