GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Does code allow an exterior stud wall to be cantilevered over rim joist?

RICHARD EVANS | Posted in Building Code Questions on

New Hampshire, Zone 6a/ 1400 feet Elevation:

I am exploring a way to mitigate the thermal bridging at the rim joist of a double stud wall.

Does building code allow an exterior, load-bearing stud wall to ‘hang off’ the edge of the rim board? If so, I am hoping this would free up an inch or two to add rigid foam around rim joist and between bottom plate of stud wall and ICF wall. I am thinking either rigid mineral wool or Type II EPS for vapor openness in a cold climate.

I cannot locate this topic anywhere in the 2009 IRC code book- so I thought I would pose the question to the GBA community.

Here are a couple of links where I have seen it illustrated:

1. 2×4 double stud wall: (1″ of XPS)

2. 2×6 wall (2″ Rigid Insulation) (see Figure 2-13S)

Thanks, as always, for the help!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    RICHARD EVANS | | #1

Sorry: Links appear to have disappeared:

1. 2x4 double stud wall: (1" of XPS)
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/cad/detail/double-stud-wall-floor-truss-icf-foundation

2. 2x6 wall (2" Rigid Insulation) (see Figure 2-13S)
    http://foundationhandbook.ornl.gov/handbook/section2-2.shtml

2. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #2

You can "overhang" 2" of a 2x6 wall, but the remainder 3.5" of the 2x6 wall is treated as the structural 2x4 wall. All size, height, spacing and load is calculated based on the "2x4" wall portion. Also, any floor or roof truss resting above this wall, should be calculated within the 3.5" continuous bearing and not with the 2" over the rigid foam section, and any header in this "2x4" wall must be framed on the inside of the wall, to form a continuous bearing to the foundation wall.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Rick,
    Armando has it right.

Building codes do not prohibit framed walls from cantilevering over the foundation --- but all walls must meet basic structural requirements.

If you have any doubts about whether your detail meets structural requirements -- which in some regions of the country may include earthquake-resistant details or details appropriate for high wind zones -- you should consult an engineer.

4. Expert Member
    RICHARD EVANS | | #4

Excellent- thank you Armando, Martin!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |