GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is Rmax Thermasheath-XP an acceptable alternative to Dow Thermax?

NatePa | Posted in Building Code Questions on

I intended on using Dow Thermax for an exposed basement application in a residential setting.

I thought there were no alternatives without using an ignition barrier (drywall) but recently came across Rmax Thermasheath-XP. For my purposes, I believe this would be a more affordable option.

https://www.rmax.com/thermasheath-xp/

Does anyone have any experience with this product? It seems to have similar properties to Dow Thermax. Does Dow Thermax have any documented advantages?

Thanks!!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Natepa,
    According to the manufacturer's claims, it should work. But check with your local building inspector before you buy the materials -- just to make sure your inspector agrees.

2. mackstann | | #2

All of the polyiso manufacturers seem to have an equivalent product.

Some others I've found:

R-Max TSX-8500 & TSX-8510
    Johns Manville CI Max
    Hunter xci 286

but they seem to be even harder to source than Thermax, which is probably why they aren't mentioned much.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |