0 Helpful?

Can I frame over blanket insulation and vaper barrier in the basement and get proper Fire Blocking?

I would like to leave the insulation blanket and vaper barrier in place when I frame the walls in my basement. Is it permissible to frame out from the insulation and then place the horizontal fire blocking every 10 feet by just compressing the insulation with 2x lumber against the concrete?

Asked by R. S2
Posted May 10, 2018 5:21 PM ET

Tags:

1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

R.S. 2,
First of all, can you tell us your name?

When you refer to "the insulation blanket," I assume that you are talking about fiberglass insulation wrapped in a polyethylene or vinyl jacket. This type of insulation is considered obsolete for the interior of basement walls. It shouldn't be used in that location. Instead, you want either rigid foam or closed-cell spray foam. For more information, see this article: How to Insulate a Basement Wall.

For details on the fire blocking requirements in your area, talk to your local building inspector. According to my understanding, when fire blocking is required for a stud wall adjacent to a basement wall, the fire blocking has to extend all the way back to the concrete, with no intervening insulation.

Answered by Martin Holladay
Posted May 11, 2018 4:59 AM ET

Other Questions in Building Code Questions

How long for interior to dry out?

In General questions | Asked by Peter L | Jul 22, 18

Raised Floor Insulation and Foam Sheathed Walls

In Green building techniques | Asked by user-7124491 | Jul 22, 18

Insulation Retrofit

In General questions | Asked by user-7117614 | Jul 22, 18

Thoughts on negative pressure after balancing an Venmar X24ERV?

In Mechanicals | Asked by David Goodyear | Jul 20, 18

Looking for options: concrete pad detail

In General questions | Asked by tech1234 | Jul 22, 18
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!