GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

In order to get R-15 in Zone 5 on a 60-year crawlspace concrete wall, can I run R-10 outside and R-6 inside?

user-4765621 | Posted in Building Code Questions on

Need help. The code says “continuous,” but ICF walls are not.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Charles,
    R-10 outside and R-6 inside is fine with me. But you should talk to your local code inspector (if in fact a code inspector is involved with this project) -- because it's the local code enforcement authority that you have to convince, not me.

2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

I'm not sure how ICF walls are not considered continuous- please explain!

Note: In zone 5 when more than half the insulation is on the exterior of a mass wall even R13 would meet code for above-grade walls. You might run that by the inspector as well.

3. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #3

Charles, the intent of "continuous" in the code means no interruptions by studs or similar. Although the concrete obviously splits your two layers of insulation, each layer is continuous. At least that's my common-sense interpretation. Like Martin says, it's your AHJ who makes the call.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |