GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Visual vs testing for air leakage in IRC ’09

T.C. Feick | Posted in Building Code Questions on

Hello- I am cruising through my (newly fatter) copy of IRC ’09, reviewing the upcoming changes, and this one caught my eye; in Energy Efficiency, Chapter 11 N1102.4.2.1 and N1102.4.2.2. These are the options for inspection to air sealing and insulation. I get a little confused. It looks like a builder can either: 1: do his own blower door test, or hire someone to do one, or 2: have the building inspector do a visual inspection of a fairly stringent nature. In addition, it looks like the inspector can require a 3rd party visual inspection for insulation and air tightness. Hmmm. So, who is buying a blower door or insisting that their insulation contractor have one? I also see that a duct blaster test is REQUIRED unless all ducts are inside the thermal envelope. I applaud these changes, but I am concerned about the compliance methods. What are others’ takes on this?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
  2. Lynn Underwood | | #2

You are correct! There are two options depending upon the local jursidcition. If the Building Official is able, there are several air sealing measures that can be inspected in lieu of a blower door test. I agree that a third party may conduct the blower door test and certify the results to the local Building Official. However, the locality has the right to accept (or not accept) the individual performing the test and evaluation.

Did I get all your questions?

3. T.C. Feick | | #3

Thanks Martin and Lynn- I will read the blogs; I had missed them. My surprise comes with the ambiguity of the code. I see no notation on who conducts these tests, which we all agree, take a high level of understanding to carry out properly. I think likely the IRC '12 will add further language.

4. Doug | | #4

it does make it very exciting trying to budget jobs that will be permitted after the new code is adopted!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |