GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating floor of addition

Ne66ryFunF | Posted in Building Code Questions on

We are adding a 2nd story addition to the back of our house in Portland, Oregon. The addition is supported on columns so the first story is open creating a covered porch. I am trying to decide how to insulate the floor since it is open to below and will have plumbing in the floor.

My thought was to use R-30 unfaced fiberglass batts in the floor, a layer of 2″ XPS fastened to the bottom of the floor joists, 2×4 flat sleepers, and then 1×6 T&G.

However, then I read the Oregon Residential Building Code and it says that I must have a 1 perm vapor retarder on the warm in winter side. The only exception the code allows is for existing construction or slab on grade which I don’t have. I am concerned that faced insulation and the XPS would create a double vapor barrier. Any ideas on how to avoid this?

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

David,
    Your first stop should be your building inspector to see what the local practice in such a common situation is, and what they will accept as alternatives if local practice isn't to your liking. It might turn out not to be an issue at all.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |