GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Vermont septic system laws

quicksilvervt | Posted in Building Code Questions on

I have two questions for those familiar with VT septic laws:
1. What’s the best way for an owner-builder to save money on a septic system?
2. What’s the best way to get around them in order to live on site while building? Camper?

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Eli,
    Since 2007, Vermont has required new homes to have a sewage disposal permit. As far as I know, this means that your septic system has to be designed by an engineer. I suggest that you make some local inquiries to find an engineer who can help you.

As far as I know, it's still legal to use a Porta-Potty at a construction site.

Here is a link to a useful document: Vermont Regulations for Soil-Based Wastewater Treatment Systems.

The document notes, "Composting toilets are now specifically allowed in the EPRs, and there is no longer a requirement that a project have enough area to build a septic system even though a composting toilet is proposed. The new rules also allow a smaller leachfield to be used for graywater only when a composting toilet is proposed."

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |