GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the recommended or code requirement for finishing the bottom edge of exterior rigid insulation?

rlayhouse | Posted in Building Code Questions on

On the exterior of my home I plan on using 1/2″ OSB, 1″ rigid insulation, with 1×4 furring strips (and insect screen) creating a drainage plain, covered by fiber cement siding. I wonder if the fire code deals with this specifically or not? (Leaving the bottom edge and the drainage plain open to the bottom side.)

You have really the best articles dealing with exterior insulation and drainage plains, but I don’t recall seeing if leaving the bottom edge exposed is OK or if it is better to put a drip rail under it, or what some other solution might be?

Thanks

rlayhouse

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. wjrobinson | | #1

Check out theslideshow.net search OSB rot.

Then think about using Zip R-sheathing, with 1" of foam safely tucked inside your wall. Seal the rest of your frame properly, flash your windows and doors properly and you will have a great build IMO.

Much less to deal with than your posted specs. IMO.

Try it, Mikey likes it, and now aj does too

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Ron,
    Here is a link to a video that shows you how to trim the exposed bottom edge of the rigid foam with metal flashing: How to Install Rigid Foam Insulation Outside a House.

3. wjrobinson | | #3

If not sheathed choose Zip R-sheathing. You will eliminate many labor steps along with whatever mistakes the trades will build in.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |