GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Do 5/32″ and 3/16″ suffice as window panes?

erratic | Posted in Building Code Questions on

Do 5/32″ and 3/16″ suffice as window panes? Can they affixed to each other to achieve greater thickness to abide by codes?

I have a bunch of 6 ft by 7 ft glass panes that are 5/32″ and 3/16″ inches thick, I also have shipping containers I am considering furnishing into a commercial business/cafe. Please take note I am an absolute novice in construction at almost every regard and still in the information gathering stages, so I am trying to acquire as much information as possible before I need to spend money and if I can make use of what I already own, that can save me lots.

I am around the Chicago Illinois northwest suburbs

I am curious if I can make windows with these 5/32″ and 3/16″ glass panes. If they cant be used individually as windows, can they can be aligned beside each other to create a greater thickness in order to abide by any building codes or some other technique?

Do different towns have different codes pertaining to window thickness or size? Does a glass pane require a certain treatment in order to be a viable window?

Can I place some sort of film on a window that can make a glass pane compatible with codes, something so that it is safer?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

H.B.,
    You may want to read an earlier GBA thread, How important is thickness of window glass?

2. erratic | | #2

Thank you Martin, that answered a lot of questions and is very helpful. But now I have more questions; what might be an economical solution for interlayer to place between glass panes?

Is there an interlayer/lamination solution that I can apply via spray application?

Could anyone make a guess as to the kind of cost of applying an interlayer between a single pair of 3/16th 6foot by 7foot panes? (both if spray application exists, and if its a sheet that is applied to the glass)

If someone could please point me in the right direction as to where I would buy a laminated glass interlayer, that would help me a lot too.

Thank you

3. peaceonearth | | #3

HB...
    Good to attempt using materials you already have. Good windows are typically two panes of glass with different size spaces (distance) of vacuum sealed space in between, a factory process. The spaces can be filled with different gases that have differing abilities to restrict the passage of heat and cold thru them. Sometimes there is a third glazing, usually an invisible layer of thin plastic film in between. My point is, I don't see how you can make good windows from your sheets of glass, and you are in a cold climate. If you don't have a real seal in between the panes you are certain to have captured vapor which will show all winter. Maybe an exterior storm panel would be realistic.

4. erratic | | #4

I understand Howard, thank you for the information.

5. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #5

If you are a building novice you may find you have bitten off more than you can chew converting shipping containers into finished spaces. While there are many examples flooding the internet right now, they are quite difficult to work with and require a lot of experience to get right. Remember too that the building code has a lot more provisions governing commercial construction than residential.
    http://www.tincancabin.com/2013/12/the-shipping-container-cabin-in-perspective/

6. erratic | | #6

Thank you for that link Malcolm, that blog was very enlightening. I am certainly still assessing the feasibility of reproducing the Starbuck's chicago shipping container cafe http://www.starbucks.com/responsibility/environment/green-building/leed-certified-stores

7. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #7

I don't mean to be discouraging, just hope you go in with your eyes open. There may be very good reasons to build using containers, not least that like the Starbucks you linked to it "brands" you in some way as being green. The practical realities just need to be understood.

From ArchDaily:

"Reusing containers seems to be a low energy alternative, however, few people factor in the amount of energy required to make the box habitable. The entire structure needs to be sandblasted bare, floors need to be replaced, and openings need to be cut with a torch or fireman's saw. The average container eventually produces nearly a thousand pounds of hazardous waste before it can be used as a structure."

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |