GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

My foundation contractor didn’t install any anchor bolts in the slab for my new house

mdbreite | Posted in Building Code Questions on

My foundation contractor didn’t install any anchor bolts in the slab for my new house.
Are there any anchor bolts that meet code that I can install? Wedge, epoxy, etc.?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mark,
    Talk to your local building inspector to verify that any suggested solution is acceptable. Retrofit anchor bolts are an engineered solution and are usually accepted as code-compliant. For more information on retrofit anchor bolts, see:

Simpson Strong-Tie RFB Retrofit Bolt

Retrofitting Anchor Bolts

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Mark,
    Oh, and by the way -- don't hire that contractor for any future jobs.

3. mdbreite | | #3

Thank you Martin, Your advice led me to an ICC-ES Evaluation Report and I found the answers I needed. Mark

4. mdbreite | | #4

Martin, I've been a carpenter in Maine for 35 years and now I'm building my retirement home in Georgia. You can imagine my surprise when I didn't see the bolts. The contractor's name is "%#&*@!?". Now if you'll excuse me I have to get into the Zen of drilling concrete. Thanks again, Mark

5. wjrobinson | | #5

Mark, your song to whistle why you work today.... Good Vibrations...good vibrations...sing it with me Mark...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |