Helping my insulation contractor make the right decisions. :)

CZ 3A

Good insulation contractors around here are hard to find. A lot of people are doing the work without understanding many of the techniques shared on this site and others. I talked to the person I am considering for my new house and I think I could use your help in educating him a little.:)

1) Radiant barrier in attic

Asked By Norman Bunn | Nov 17 17

Flat roof attic insulation

Hi,
My home was built in the late 1890s and has a flat roof. It has aluminium siding and it has two floors and basement. On the second floor, we have sheetrock ceiling. There is an older plaster and lath ceiling on top of the sheetrock. There is about a foot of space between the ceiling sheetrock and plaster ceiling. In the attic, there’s no insulation at all. On the edges, you can see the stud cavities that run down to the second floor. You can only see down to the second floor and not the first floor. So not sure if it is called balloon framing.

Asked By michaeldrehl | Nov 17 17

Sizing Ductless Mini Split for HEATING

Hi all,

I'm going to install a ductless heat pump. I settled on LG Art Cool Premier (HYV1 or HYV2). Now I need to figure out system size, and there is too much info.

I have 550 sf addition built in late '80s, which is a split lever open space, and is VERY cold (i've attached some photos)!

It has a large french door (8x10' glass, 3 sections), 7 windows, and 5 skylights. All are double glass.

Asked By Levab | Nov 16 17

Ranch vs 2-Story Home

Generally speaking, if one is looking to build a 1,600 sqft home, which provides the better energy efficiency and less expensive route?

Having 2 levels of 800 sqft each seems like it would be better from an energy standpoint since there is less roof area and everything is compacted in a smaller pad. Cost wise there is less roof area to frame, insulate and install a roof on with a 2-story. There is probably some cost savings in flatwork and foundation with a 2-story since the footprint is smaller.

Asked By Peter L | Nov 16 17

Site built ventilation baffle moisture issue

I installed site built rigid foam ventilation baffles per GBA article http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/articles/dept/musings/site-built-ven...

Asked By Michael Prisco | Nov 17 17

Residential frost-protected shallow foundation in central Mass.

We are planning to provide a monolithic pour frost-protected shallow foundation (FPSF) for a single story 1300 sq ft 2 bedroom home in central MA. Air Freezing Index is 2000. I have read through many different case studies, research papers, codes, etc and there is a bit of conflicting and locale-specific info so I am looking to see whether I understand what is required here. I am a newbie owner-builder. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, but I don't want to foment any religious wars.

Asked By Kenneth Gartner | Sep 2 16

condensation on windows

I am a HERS rater, back in the summer, i tested a house for a builder.
built about a year ago and lived in.
​they​ had a problem with condensation ​collecting​ on windows
windows face north, and air changes in house were 2.4ACH
they had one continuous fan that was not working
so they replaced this fan which is guest bath, off kitchen, near laundry.
this now is supposed to run at 60 cfm continuous.
They replaced a second fan in the master bath to run continuous at 50,
occupied at 100cfm. ​both on the main floor, there is no second floor,
but a finished walk out basement.

Asked By dwayne petko | Nov 17 17

How to insulate rim joist that doesn't breathe on the exterior side?

The home was built is 2012 we are in Zone 5b just north of Indianapolis. We are the original owners and have pics during construction phase (unfortunately they were not custom builders and would not let us help with design details. e.g. we couldn't get them to insulate exterior basement walls and below the slab with rigid foam- which is now MADDENING).We are about to finish the unfinished basement. What is the correct way to insulate a rim joist on a modern house?

Asked By user-6955054 | Nov 16 17

Flashing Bottom of Window flange?

I've noticed that a lot of builders will omit taping over the bottom flange of a window once it has been installed. Sides are taped/flashed and the top flanged covered by WRB flap. Yet, bottom flange is left exposed.

I presume this is to allow water to drain from the assembly. But is this really necessary- especially if weep holes are left uncovered? Will this result in air leakage at the bottom of window?

Asked By Rick Evans | Nov 16 17

Help with installing a solar water heater using solar electric modules

I'm a solar contractor in the Philadelphia region. I've installed traditional solar water heaters using flat plate collectors but a homeowner has asked me to install a solar water heater using solar electric modules and a heat pump. This is new to me, I did some basic online research and came across an article on this site written by Martin Holladay, "Solar Thermal is Dead."

Asked By Anil Babooram | Dec 17 13