How best to handle wet garage wall ?

I have a free standing garage that has poured concrete walls. The garage is built into a steep hill side that opposes the back of the garage and one side. I intend to convert the garage to a wood shop where I will store lumbar so I am trying to mitigate moisture issues. The garage has a new roof and interior spray foam in the rafter bays. My problem is that an area about one foot wide on the floor adjacent to the back and the hill side wall stays damp and the lower portion of the same two walls is damp for about 18 inches in height.

Asked By W. Timothy Ward | Jul 23 17

Walls and floor for one piece shower?

I have a one piece shower I just bought and am going to install it myself. I have never done so and am looking for a guide or advice on the best practice to make sure:

1) No leaks or water damage
2) Shower is properly stabilized

My first question is what materiel I should be using for the framed in walls around the shower? Can it just be directly against my studs or should I put up some mold free plywood/material first?

Asked By MichaelBa | Jul 23 17

My double stud wall assembly

We are in Minnesota (Zone 6a). 2200 sq/ft single level, slab on grade.

Finalizing my 10" double stud wall assembly details and want to get your suggestions and recommendations for improving the assembly without increasing significantly increasing costs.

-Sheetrock
-Certainteed Membrane 1-10 perm
-Dense pack cellulose
-1/2" plywood
-Tyvek 58 perm
-furring strips on the (north and east sides of the house)
-LP smartside lap, b&b, & shakes (north and east sides of the house)
-No furring strips, just vinyl siding (south and west sides of the house)

Asked By Scott K | Jul 22 17

Foil faced rigid insulation

I am in mixed-humid (Zone 3A).

I plan to use foil faced roof sheathing in my vented attic as a radiant barrier and was wondering about the efficacy of foil faced rigid insulation on my exterior walls facing the air gap to the siding (brick, stone and plank). Given my climate, any wall moisture will typically dry to the interior, so it would seem the reduced permeability of the foil facing would not be an issue.

From inside out:
• Latex paint
• Drywall

Asked By pnjfksx | Jul 22 17

What is the best way to reduce heat gain in South facing garages?

This forum has had a lot to say about how foil bubble radiant heat barriers are silly and a waste of money.

I'm interested in reducing the heat gain in my South facing garages from the intense high desert sun. My garage bakes, and my neighbors is quite cool and comfortable, for a garage. I know he has done attic ventilation above the garage, and installed a radiant heat barriers on the door.

Asked By pshyvers | Jul 22 17

Insulation and new codes

Planning a renovation and addition of an existing house;

1. Climate Zone 4 - the new insulation code for ceilings is R49. Is the only way to achieve this in 2x12 roof framing to use closed cell spray foam or rigid on the exterior? Client doesn't want to use spray foam. Working to match existing roof lines and not remove the existing roof. In order to match existing roof lines there is part of the ceiling that will also be the roof.

Asked By S G | Mar 3 17

Main stack venting

I'm finishing tying in an addition to my existing slab on grade home and found the main stack vent on the existing house is about 6" into what will be a hallway.

The original house had a 3" main stack vent off the master bath, near where the drain exits the house to the septic. There is also a 2" vent on the other side of the house connected to the kitchen and another full bath. There is a 3rd full bath in the middle of these two vents. The original master bathroom piping has been capped and covered with concrete, except the main stack vent.

Asked By Mike M | Jul 22 17

Accessing a concealed duct unit

My HVAC contractor will be installing a Fujitsu 9RLFCD and a 12RLFCD. Each of the slim duct units will share space in closets and hang vertically. I don't have a utility room for them to be exposed in.
Now I need an idea on how to conceal the slim ducts but still make them accessible.
Do they need ready access like a breaker panel or can all the seasonal coats be hung in front of them? Are there pre-made access panels for sale?
What is a "good practice" for finishing these off? Any pictures?
Thanks.

Asked By Mark Walker | Jul 22 17

Naive question on LEED certification

Hi GBA,

Asked By Brian Gray | Jul 21 17

Insulation question and new construction.... thoughts?

New construction, we are doing a non-vented attic to keep our HVAC ductwork in a conditioned space with foam on the roof deck. Come to find out, we can put foam in all the walls vs using bibs for the same price which surprised me. This will make for a tight house and this brings the question in my mind "what type of mechanical ventilation"? House needs to breath and have a good exchange of air.

House is a 2 story and about 2700 sq ft. 2 HVAC units will be installed. Biggest concern is a good ventilation system..

Asked By Thomas Roberts | Jul 20 17