GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Masonry pier foundation — Code does not allow appropriate depth?

neumanno | Posted in Building Code Questions on

Hi all, I hope I am interpreting this wrong or missing something but it would appear that the Minnesota residential building code does not allow a masonry pier supporting a wood girder for an exterior load bearing wall to be deeper than 4 ft from top of footing to sill plate. The minimum frost depth is 60″ here (Duluth, MN) for footings. Am I missing something?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. neumanno | | #1

Accidental post. Continued: it appears that the Minnesota residential building code does not allow a masonry pier supporting a wood girder for an exterior load bearing wall to be deeper than 4 ft from top of footing to sill plate. The minimum frost depth is 60" here (Duluth, MN) for footings. Am I missing something?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Oliver,
    I'm not very familiar with this part of the code, but my first thought is that there are other types of piers other than a masonry pier. If masonry piers can't be used, what about using pressure-treated lumber or poured concrete Sonotubes?

3. charlie_sullivan | | #3

Or pre-cast concrete piers.

4. neumanno | | #4

Martin, I will admit that I was thinking a poured concrete type pier was a masonry pier which I now realize is not the case. I would definitely be doing poured concrete sonotube type piers if I went with a pier foundation. Thank you for helping clear up my misunderstanding.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |