GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Does anyone know of an approved 1 hour fire rated assembly for fascia and soffit? (ICF with SIP Roof)

Jerusalem Farm | Posted in Building Code Questions on

I am constructing an ICF house with a SIP roof which will overhang the walls. On the east side of the house (Gable side), I am within 3 feet of the property line and thus need a 1hr fire rated assembly for the fascia and soffit. I am having trouble finding an assembly from UL or elsewhere. Please help if you know.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

Jordan. Have you been advised that fiber-cement trim is not acceptable?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Jordan,
    Here is a "Roof/ceiling assembly, wood-framed, 1-hour rating" from this web site:
    http://www.buildgp.com/GypsumAssemblies.aspx?ShowAll=True

Presumably, you could add another soffit material under the 5/8” DensArmor Plus Fireguard C gypsum panels without affecting the fire rating.

Full disclosure: I am not an architect or fire rating expert. Get expert advice rather than listening to me.

3. Jerusalem Farm | | #3

Steve Knapp: Fiber-Cement Trim like Hardiboard is non-combustible, but it is not 1hr fire rated. In fact, it transmits quite a bit of heat. So, looking at their website, it alone is not approved.

Martin: Thanks for that. I did come across that image in my internet search. It isn't our assembly and from my understanding from the permit lady, we need an approved tested and rated assembly. We could throw one together, but an engineer would need to approve it, so I am looking to see if there are any already out there. I can't find any involving SIPS

4. user-6184358 | | #4

1 Hour fire rated - You can have the SIP made so that there is no foam in the eave portion. Then you might be able find a rated and tested assembly that is similar enough to work. I think the problem is the foam insulation. Contact your SIP manufacturer and see if they can help.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |