GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Super slim LED option

swwchi | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have been looking at replacing my canned lights in the ceiling and considering two options. Unfortunately, cove lights, pendant lights or other options are not popular with my spouse.

1. Surface mounted LED that mount in junction boxes similar to the ones discussed in “Rethinking recessed lighting” https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/green-building-blog/rethinking-recessed-lighting. This option would require the cost of removing the old canned lights, drywall repair and placing new junction boxes in the ceiling. There is no gimbal option for a few art spot lights that we have.

2. There are new slim LED that mount in the exiting hole with spring tension that are advertised as both air tight and IC approved. See pictures below. The junction box fits up in the ceiling through the existing hole. This would be quite a bit cheaper with just removing the old canned light. Would probably place a bead of clear sealant around the edge (textured ceiling).

If the pros think that option 2 is close to as good as option 1 it would save some money. They also have a gimbal version that would work for a few art spot lights in the house.

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Stan,
    I haven't installed the type of light fixture that you are considering, but I agree that it would save a lot of labor and cost. It may not be ideal -- the old can takes up space that would be better devoted to insulation, and the air sealing may not be perfect -- but it's common to choose a somewhat imperfect option when that imperfect options saves a lot of money and time.

-- Martin Holladay

2. user-5946022 | | #2

These look like Lotus fixtures. The website indicates you would totally remove the existing can lights, and install these with clips to the existing hole in the gyp. That would resolve Martin's concern about the old can taking up space better devoted to insulation.

The other issue is each fixture has a driver. The line voltage connects to the driver. The driver looks like a 4x4 box. Then there is a short cord from the driver to the fixture. You can buy extensions for this short cord.

If I were installing these, I would want to seal the hole in the gyp board by sealing the fixture to the gyp. This however, will limit access to the driver. Hopefully your fixtures are wired in series (daisy chained) so you can go back to the source and install all the drivers in one accessible location. Then buy the extenders to get from the drivers to the fixtures. That way you can seal between the new fixture and the gyp, and you can install a bunch of insulation where the old can used to be.

3. swwchi | | #3

That was my plan C-A-L. Wondering if anyone has experience with a blower door with that install or any thoughts regarding how "tight" it would be?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |