T&G cathedral ceiling air barrier question

We are located in the Finger lakes region of NY and are considering T&G cathedral ceiling. Roof assembly would be Zip Roof Sheathing, un-vented roof with 7" of closed cell foam (R-49). I found a company that uses Lapolla Foam Lok 2000 4G foam with climate-friendly blowing agents. Based on this assembly, I am assuming that I would not need a dry wall layer under the T&G; am I correct?

Asked by Nina in CNY
Posted Mar 20, 2017 9:47 PM ET
Edited Mar 21, 2017 8:40 AM ET

1.

Nina,
You won't need an interior air barrier, but you are still required by code to have an interior thermal barrier (to protect the spray foam insulation from fire).

Check with your local code inspector (your local building department) to determine whether your tongue-and-groove boards would be approved as a thermal barrier in your jurisdiction. You may be required to install 1/2-inch drywall as a thermal barrier.

-- Martin Holladay

Posted Mar 21, 2017 5:14 AM ET

No rainscreen gap in an all-cementitious wall?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Ethan T ; Climate Zone 5A ; ~6000HDD | Sep 25, 17

Low-slope roof

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jonathan Lawrence CZ 4A New Jersey | Aug 18, 17

Where to exhaust bathroom fans?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Debra | Sep 25, 17

Solutions for exterior insulation on home with poly warm-in-winter side?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by user-6924093 | Sep 24, 17

ICF home and ventilation

In Mechanicals | Asked by melsie | Sep 24, 17