GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How can I effectively resolve an issue of next door neighbor’s cigarette smoke seeping into my apartment?

user-6855474 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

My neighbor’s door is perpendicular to mine and about 8 inches from mine. Our apartments, long ago, used to be one big apartment before it was divided into two. One of my walls, that was used to divide the once larger apartment, is adjacent to my neighbors. I have lived here 38 years and would hate to move because of some smokers who have moved in next to me. I have asthma and my children seem to be developing it as well. By the way, I have four high-end air purifiers but they are noisy and dramatically run up my electric bill. Please help.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

User-6855474,
    If you are a renter, you'll have to discuss the situation with your landlord.

If you are the owner of your unit, there are two steps to pursue:

1. You need to perform air sealing work to seal cracks in the common wall between the two units.

2. You need to install a supply ventilation system that will slightly pressurize your apartment.

2. Jon_R | | #2

You want to pressurize your apartment slightly above your neighbor's.

3. Robert Opaluch | | #3

Weatherstripping your door (next to your neighbor's) likely would help too.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |