GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Looking for “pretty good” doors

harrison55 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am planning a “pretty good” house for Virginia. It will have R-25 or better walls with, good air tightness and Marvin Integrity casement windows.

Can anyone suggest “pretty good” doors to go in this house? I have one entry door, two 6’0 X 6’8 hinged patio doors, and one 6’0 X 6’8 slider (ugh!) . Marvin’s patio doors look OK, but their slider has a single point latch. And the entry door is a big question mark.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mark,
    First of all, your post is confusing. I assume that this house is at the design stage, since you tell us that you are "planning" a house. So why are you including a design element that makes you write "ugh"?

Step one: If you don't like sliding doors, don't design a house with sliding doors. Or is this a spousal decision?

Step two: You should read the GBA article titled "All About Doors."

2. harrison55 | | #2

Thanks, Martin. Your article was exactly what I needed. And it turns out that Marvin does make a lift-and-slide slider.

The reason for the slider, BTW, is to allow for a "normally open" door to a screened porch in a situation with very little space for the doorswing.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Mark,
    I'm glad to hear that the article answered your questions!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |