GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Pole building shop soffit vents a good idea?

Kail_Z | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am in climate zone 4C and I’m about to have a pole building built with 2′ eaves on a skillion sloped shed roof. I want to have the eaves soffited and the builder suggested using vented metal for this and has stated that it will help vent the building. Someday I will probably insulate the walls and ceiling in this shop. I will have the roof sheathed and I assume when I insulate, I will insulate between the purlins in the ceiling. Will the vented soffit work later when I insulate?

Thanks for any advice you all might have.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kail,
    I was stumped at the word "skillion," but I discovered that in Australia, a skillion roof is a shed (single pitch) roof.

There are two types of insulated roof assemblies: unvented assemblies and vented assemblies. If you anticipate building an unvented assembly, you'll have to use closed-cell spray foam on the underside of your roof sheathing.

If you plan to install a fluffy insulation like fiberglass, mineral wool, or cellulose, you'll need a vented assembly. This type of assembly must include a ventilation channel between the top of the insulation and the underside of the roof sheathing. For more information on this issue, see How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |