Wait to air seal until after blower door test?

I’ve been waiting for cooler weather (in zone 5A) before scheduling an energy audit that includes a blower door test with infrared camera. But now in early fall/late summer is a comfortable time to venture into the attic. Is there any reason to wait until the energy audit to work on obvious air sealing improvements? The only thing that I can really think of is that we might miss out on some potential credits for improvements if our “Before” results limit our improvements.

Our improvement efforts are going to be limited to improving air sealing and then adding attic insulation (blown cellulose, on top of existing skimpy rolled fiberglass batts).

My thinking is that I should do the easy air sealing and start putting in ventilation baffles now, and then use the audit to find the air leaks that I overlooked.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Asked by andrew c
Posted Sep 13, 2017 9:22 AM ET

1.

Andrew,
Some orchardists answer the question, "When is the best time to prune a tree?" this way: "When your tools are sharp."

If you are willing to climb into your attic to seal obvious air leaks, you should definitely do so. The work can be done at any time. (In case you haven't seen it, you might want to read this article: Air Sealing an Attic.)

It's rare for a blower-door operator to be patient enough to spend all day on the job site, depressurizing the house for hours so you can find and seal all the air leaks. Typically, the blower-door operator is anxious to pack up the equipment and move on to the next job.

If you can get the big holes sealed up before the blower-door test starts, you'll be a step ahead. Then, on the day of the blower-door test, you can focus on the small holes that are revealed by depressurization.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 10:02 AM ET

2.

Thanks Martin. Now I just need to decide whether to use caulk or the really messy acoutistical sealant that I already have on hand.

Answered by andrew c
Posted Sep 13, 2017 12:53 PM ET

3.

If you have something messy that needs to be used up, the attic is a better place to make a mess than most other places.

Answered by Charlie Sullivan
Posted Sep 13, 2017 8:28 PM ET

4.

Charlie, good point. One bonus is that batt insulation is really easy to get out of the way so you can caulk or spray foam. Once blown insulation gets put down, everything becomes much harder. Realized that on the last house. I'm still going to put on a cheap "painter's suit" and wear rubber gloves.

Answered by andrew c
Posted Sep 13, 2017 8:44 PM ET

I am looking for the best ideas for a project for my high school Green Building class

In Green building techniques | Asked by tim eberhardt | Sep 19, 17

Cut and cobble - basement ideas?

In General questions | Asked by user-6921457 | Sep 19, 17

Best way to plumb for outdoor shower (with hot water)?

In General questions | Asked by Grey Wolf | Sep 12, 17

Structural support for windows/door with exterior insulation

In Green building techniques | Asked by Joshua Rogers | Feb 10, 11

Insulating basement foundation

In General questions | Asked by BobTheWeekendWarrior | Sep 19, 17