GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Zip vs. Thermo-Ply in retrofit wall assembly

nhbean | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am a homeowner renovating a 100-year old foursquare in Manhattan KS (mixed-humid, zone 4). We need to remove our wall sheathing to address some dry rot issues, and are taking the opportunity to improve the envelope details and work closer to a pretty-good house.

The walls are 2×4 balloon framing with interior lathe-and-plaster and 1×12 exterior board sheathing. The cavities are insulated with blown cellulose. After repairing the rot, our plan is to add the following layers on top of the existing board sheathing:

1 – ½ Zip system panels with taped seams
2 – Two staggered layers of reclaimed 1” Polyiso (foil-faced) with taped seams
3 – A ¾” vented rainscreen gap created from 1×4 furring strips screwed to the studs
4 – Boral TruExterior beveled siding

However, on this forum I recently saw the Ox Thermo-Ply product, and am curious if it would make sense to swap the Zip panels for Thermo-Ply Green panels. This would reduce the overall weight and cost of our assembly considerably.

It looked like the primary complaint leveled at Thermo-Ply is related to using it in a structural manner, but as we will retain our existing board sheathing any shear loads should already be addressed. Also, it has a lower permeability than Zip, but with two layers of foil-faced polyiso, we’re already limited to drying to the interior.

Or is there some additional benefit from using Zip on top of the existing board sheathing that I am missing? Would it handle high winds better (we are in tornado country)?

My thanks for any advice and thoughts you can offer!

Sincerely,

Nathan Bean

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Nathan,
    There is no doubt that Zip sheathing (or any other brand of OSB you care to mention) can handle high winds better than Thermo-Ply. (Thermo-Ply is foil-faced cardboard.)

That said, there may be no reason for you to worry about high wind loads -- especially if your existing board sheathing is well nailed. If you are worried about tornadoes, you should talk to an engineer.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |