GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is it advisable to have a furred air space between cedar siding and zip system sheating?

user-6750330 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

We are designing a house in Westchester County, New York.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

Do you mean individual cedar shakes or shingles or cedar panels?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

User-6750330,
    First of all, can you tell us your name?

Like Steve, I'm curious to know what kind of siding you are talking about. In addition to his list of options, you might also be talking about cedar clapboard (lap siding).

Curiosity aside, my answer would probably be the same for all types of cedar siding: in general, a ventilated rainscreen gap is a good idea, unless the wall faces a porch. For more information, see this article: All About Rainscreens.

3. user-6750330 | | #3

Sorry about leaving off my name, I'm new to this site and I assumed the name would simply post. I'm Richard Stein.
    I'm planning to use shiplapped white cedar siding and I happened upon the "All About Rainscreens" article after posting my question. The question came up when my contractor suggested I forgo the rainscreen as a money-saving ploy. I was interested to read that no more than a minimal gap is necessary. We had originally planned to use 5/4 furring. I'd like to have a narrower gap.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Richard,
    Many people use furring strips made by ripping down 1/4-inch or 3/8-inch plywood.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |