GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

insulation of floor of house build on helicoidal piers

levassep | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

hi,

I built a house that is supported by helicoidal piers. I need to insulate the floor and would like to know what is best practice and what it is to avoid.

Some told me to insulate the cavity with fiberglass batt that touch the underside of the floor (higher position) and secure those batts in place and then close the system with sheating. I can probably put some fiberglass batt than XPS and then sheating.

Some told me to insulate the cavity with fiberglass batt and then place a vapor barrier to the outside and finish with sheating. I wonder of a vapour barrier on the cold side of the assembly? is this good?

What would best partice to insulate that assembly.

Best regards,

Pierre

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

Pierre,

See this article on insulating a cold floor: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2012/03/08/how-to-insulate-a-cold-floor

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |