0 Helpful?

How do I insulate steel support beams in a wooden framed house?

I have a two story house that is being build. For hurricane reasons, we have steel beams from bottom to top sized 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch. The steel is only covered with a air tight material of 3/4 inch thickness, see picture. It will be finished with cement board on outside and drywall and plaster on inside. The whole house has 4 of these support beams. Next to this, in between windows, there are two support beams of steel, 2x6 inch bottom to top as well, see picture of framed house. The windows will be wood with alu cladding, the wood being 4 inch square. The contractor plans to have these steel beams covered with 3/4 inch plywood and air tight foil and on the outside also boral panels of 3/4 inch.
I'm really worried that these beams will destroy the thermal insulation of the house and the proposed solution is not sufficient.

What is the best way to proceed?

Thanks so much for your help!

IMG_5139.jpg139.38 KB
IMG_5159.jpg80.56 KB
Asked by Jan Bultman
Posted Nov 10, 2017 6:06 PM ET


2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Where are you located? It's unfortunate that your architecture didn't address this issue during the design phase. Here is a thread with some advice on insulating steel framing: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/green-building-techn...

Answered by Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia
Posted Nov 10, 2017 6:33 PM ET


I'm located 30 miles west of Boston, MA, climate zone 5.

Answered by Jan Bultman
Posted Nov 11, 2017 5:23 PM ET

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

Insulating a raised slab

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by User-6804212 | Feb 17, 18

Ice Damming ~ Solutions for this Situation ...

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jake Rabe | Feb 16, 18

How exterior air seal at chimney to wall interface? Chimney spalling.

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mike McLaine | Feb 18, 18

Being "green" in a public restroom.

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by KEVIN ZORSKI | Feb 18, 18

Recommended gas furnace for 3550 square foot house

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Vissu | Feb 19, 18
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!