How do I insulate steel support beams in a wooden framed house?

I have a two story house that is being build. For hurricane reasons, we have steel beams from bottom to top sized 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch. The steel is only covered with a air tight material of 3/4 inch thickness, see picture. It will be finished with cement board on outside and drywall and plaster on inside. The whole house has 4 of these support beams. Next to this, in between windows, there are two support beams of steel, 2x6 inch bottom to top as well, see picture of framed house. The windows will be wood with alu cladding, the wood being 4 inch square. The contractor plans to have these steel beams covered with 3/4 inch plywood and air tight foil and on the outside also boral panels of 3/4 inch.
I'm really worried that these beams will destroy the thermal insulation of the house and the proposed solution is not sufficient.

What is the best way to proceed?

Thanks so much for your help!
Jan

IMG_5139.jpg139.38 KB
IMG_5159.jpg80.56 KB
Asked by Jan Bultman
Posted Nov 10, 2017 7:06 PM ET

1.

Where are you located? It's unfortunate that your architecture didn't address this issue during the design phase. Here is a thread with some advice on insulating steel framing: http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/green-building-techn...

Answered by Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia
Posted Nov 10, 2017 7:33 PM ET

2.

I'm located 30 miles west of Boston, MA, climate zone 5.

Answered by Jan Bultman
Posted Nov 11, 2017 6:23 PM ET

Most efficient way to run Mini Split ACs

In General questions | Asked by kjmass1 | Jun 22, 18

Conventional heat pumps with mini-split low temp efficiency?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Mai Tai | Jun 22, 18

Do I need to use R10 minimum on the roof deck in climate zone 4C in all cases?

In Building Code Questions | Asked by user-7003242 | Jun 22, 18

roof vent size for vaulted ceiling

In General questions | Asked by nepal | Jun 22, 18

Unvented roof — vaulted ceilings — moisture, rot, etc.

In General questions | Asked by Meyersrl | Jun 22, 18