GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Occupants affecting efficiency

Mitch_Costa | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Not a question, just a link to an article the GBA advisors should find interesting about the importance of occupant behavior in building efficiency: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/things-people-do-foil-energy-saving-buildings-180967324/

Mitch Costa

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. ethan_TFGStudio | | #1

Mitchell - it is funny that you posted this article, since I just linked to an article at Mr Money Mustache about saving money (and energy) by doing less laundry. I think there could be an equal and opposite article as a counterpoint to this Smithsonian article which would be about people in inefficient buildings with inefficient appliances saving energy by modifying behavior (making due with lower heat setpoints, wearing sweaters, etc. I worked in a LEED Platinum office building where the entire HR department installed electric heaters under their desks in protest. Behavior modification only works if there is buy-in from the occupants - or if it is occupant-led.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Mitchell and Ethan,
    Building scientists have been cursing occupants for decades. They always say the same thing: "If it wasn't for the freaking occupants, we could build and operate some very energy-efficient buildings."

More here: Occupant Behavior Makes a Difference.

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

Good points - and true in a lot of other endeavours. I do a lot of work for a nearby resort, and have come to the conclusion that the ideal resort has no guests.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |