Replacing double-paned window glass

Old window is Willmar Window uPVC, 70/32, installed horizontally in 2001. The seal failed in 2016 on the lower left hand side.

We replaced only the window glass in the summer of 2017. Synergy Solarban 70XL

After a recent winter storm, the frame of the Willmar seems not to support the new window glass.

The base of the new window (at the same place where the first window seal failed), made a scrapping, metallic noise during the storm. Then the top left corner of the window made a tapping sound and I could see that it was moving back and forth. I applied duct tape to frame and window at these locations to minimize the movement.

The bottom corners of the glass are secure to the frame. However the frame is bowed out about 1/8 inch. I should mention that below this window are two small windows, the left one is stationary and the right one slides.

I'd like your opinion. Is my problem the glass or the window frame? Or the installation.

Asked by Carolelm
Posted Dec 5, 2017 11:46 AM ET
Edited Dec 5, 2017 3:15 PM ET

Carol Elm,
Your description is confusing; it's unclear whether the sash is bowing or the window frame that holds the sash is bowing. In either case, however, it seems that you need to report your problem to the window manufacturer, and inquire about Willmar's warranty.

Willmar Windows of Winnipeg, Manitoba was acquired by Jeld-Wen at some point in the company's history. Here is the contact information:

Willmar Windows
Winnipeg, MB

Posted Dec 5, 2017 1:11 PM ET

uPVC expands and contracts with the weather. It is likely the glass is supposed to float in the window frame. Can you tell if the installer adhered the new glass to the frame?

Answered by Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia
Posted Dec 5, 2017 1:11 PM ET

Thanks Steve and Martin, I can't tell that the "installer adhered the new glass to frame." So I'll follow this lead. The window is fixed and doesn't move so I'd say the window frame is bowing. Thanks for the address and phone #

Answered by Carolelm
Posted Dec 7, 2017 2:11 PM ET

Mini Split selection

In Mechanicals | Asked by Seth Holmen | Mar 19, 18

ZIP, AdvanTech, OSB, and Plywood.

In Green building techniques | Asked by Dave B | Mar 14, 18

To Spray foam or not?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Kasey Doggett | Mar 18, 18

Can Larsen trusses be used for roofs?

In General questions | Asked by user-7037573 | Mar 20, 18

Sealed gas see-through fireplace to outdoors

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Norman Bunn | Mar 19, 18