GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Mitsubishi Heads and the I-see function

DIYJester | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hello,
I’m trying to determine the most efficient way to operate the above described heads. The Mitsubishi tech I spoke with just said leave the I-see functioning on and all horizontal and vertical vanes in automatic.

To me this seems a bit strange as I watch the unit the I-see sensor is always moving and the vanes are also constantly moving, along with the blower, even when there is not a call for heat. I would thing even the small amount of energy the vanes use and I-see function does, this would lower the efficiency considerably, especially when a room is set at the lowest set point of 61F (outside of “smartset” which allows you to drop to 50F, but nothing in between that and 61F.

Thank you for your reply. I’m still trying to get used to all the gadgetry compared to a started forced air conditioner and very poorly insulated floor heat system. The new heating system is however 70% of the originals size and the house is now 33% larger and it seems to keep up very well with about 1/5th the cost.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mike,
    I'm adding this comment to bump your question closer to the top of the list of questions, in hopes that a GBA reader who is familiar with Mitsubishi minisplit controls can provide advice.

2. user-616070 | | #2

I went through the same thing when my Mitsubishi heat pump was new. I noticed the I-see moving all the time and wondered if it was necessary. After a few years with it, I've left the i-see function on and let it do it's thing, like the tech said. You'll get used to it and it probably saves energy in the end to let it scan the room.

I do wish mine had the smartset function like you mention. Our's only goes down to 59F and it's tricky when you're away on vacation to decide whether to lower it to 59 or turn off. Hate to heat an empty house but don't want it to get too cold.

3. mackstann | | #3

Maybe we have a physics geek who can establish some reasonable bounds for how much energy it takes to move that little piece of plastic back and forth. I'm guessing it's pretty negligible though. I am installing a Mitsu with I-see right now and it'll be in a basement laundry room where people never hang out for long. I think I'll probably disable it. (I'm assuming it can be disabled?)

4. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #4

OK I'll bite. I don't know the real number, but order-of-magnitude you're probably looking at less than 2 watts of additional background load to keep the I-SEE running continuously, maybe less than 1 watt.

Times 24 hours/day and 365 days/year = 8 to 16 kwh per year. If that is a significant hit to your as-used efficiency, you have a much lower energy house than mine! :-)

5. nhhillrider | | #5

Late to this one. I just disabled the i-see feature on my mini splits. Why? After being frustrated with a low pulsating noise from the units in my bedrooms, I finally found a forum where someone mentioned that was from i-see. I disabled it and voila! Silence. Whatever gain there is, its not worth the noise... to me

1. walldocmp | | #6

How do you disable the i-see sensor?

1. nhhillrider | | #7

Its on page 5 of the user guide.
        http://meus1.mylinkdrive.com/files/MSZ-FH09-15NA_Operation_JG79A806H02_03-14.pdf

I-see operation:
        Press during COOL, DRY, HEAT and AUTO mode
        to activate the i-see control mode.
        • Press gently using a thin instrument.
        • lights. (Operation display section)

1. walldocmp | | #8

Thank you nhhillrider!!! No more annoying pulsating noise!

6. willymo | | #9

I have a "low pulsating noise" on a new install; I have trouble seeing how disabling I-see could help, and when I tried it, I couldn't hear any difference.

7. JoeSBoston | | #10

Hi all,

This post led me to make my own post that I copied and pasted here. Let me know if you all have any feedback.

I have a newly installed a 5 zone hyperheat system (2 outdoor units). 3 of the 5 zones are served by FH wall units w/ the I see sensor. My 9k unit was making a constant dull spinning/revving/mechanical noise, until I disabled the I see sensor. The noise was constant, consistent, and sounded internal, it was not correlated with the actual movement of the external i see sensor (or to fan speed or other settings).

For those who have FH units- how much noise do they make compared to other wall units? Enough to be disruptive in a quite bedroom?

This claim is subjective (and the issue I'm having w/ my installer), but I'm certain that all three of my FH wall units make the sound at different intensities/volumes. Master Bedroom is the worst, Nursery is second worse, Downstairs is barely noticeable. My main concern is that my master bedroom unit was damaged prior to install and I want to get it corrected while the contractor is still in the picture.

Thanks,
    Joe

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |