GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is it worth it to upgrade flex duct insulation if all ductwork will be buried in cellulose anyway?

BuildingNewb | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I currently have R4.2 flex duct connected to my furnace and ac in the attic (climate zone 5). I will be upgrading the ductwork soon but was wondering if it makes sense to upgrade the flex duct from R4.2 to R8 if it will be completely buried in cellulose.

The attic floor will be insulated to R60 but obviously the entire duct work won’t be buried in R60 because the top of the duct sits off the floor quite a bit.

Thanks so much for your help!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Building Newb,
    Buried ducts can be at risk of condensation unless you follow the rules for buried ducts established in the 2018 IECC and 2018 IRC. (For more information on these code requirements, see this GBA article: Buried Ducts Allowed in 2018 Energy Code.)

In Zone 5, insulated ducts must be rated at minimum of R-8 to be safely buried. So the answer to your question is no, you don't want to bury R-4.2 flex ducts.

2. BuildingNewb | | #2

Would you mind explaining to me why there would be a condensation risk?

I would figure adding more insulation would serve to further prevent condensation.

Is it because the insulation gets very cold in the winter and the insulated ductwork isn't enough to separate the hot air vs cold insulation temperature? Thanks.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Building Newb,
    The worrisome condensation occurs on the exterior of the polyethylene jacket (the jacket on the insulated flex duct) in the summertime. Thin duct insulation under the jacket increases the risk (by lowering the temperature of the polyethylene jacket). Deep cellulose also increase the risk (by isolating the polyethylene jacket from hot attic temperatures, thereby keeping the jacket cool).

Blown-in fiberglass and blown-in cellulose are not air barriers, so hot humid attic air can access the polyethylene jacket. Hence the condensation risk.

4. BuildingNewb | | #4

Gotcha, but if I upgrade to R8, I should be safe?

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Building Newb,
    Yes, that's what I wrote in Comment #1.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |