GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

ERV vs fresh air intake

jberks | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

So my HVAC design is looking like I will do a fancoil on each floor.

I’m seriously considering going with an air-to-water chiller for the outdoor unit and a spacepak aircell on each floor, 4 in total.

These units have a 4″ round fresh air port that you can program a percentage of fresh air.

Ideally, I would have an ERV in return-return with each unit. (more Ideally I’d have space for a shaft wall and an independent ERV system :S ) However, ERV’s are quite large and take a lot of space that I don’t have with the unit and all the duct work. Even the panasonic Spot ERV I don’t think I’ll be able to fit one centrally on each floor.

So the big question is, is there a way to model how much energy/cost an ERV will actually save vs straight ventilation?

Thanks,

Jamie

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jamie,
    Here is an analysis of the energy savings associated with HRVs or ERVs: Are HRVs Cost-Effective?

You might consider using Lunos fans for ventilation. For more information on Lunos fans, see Designing a Good Ventilation System. Lunos fans don't take up any room.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |