Can I use Grace Ice and Water Shield on my basement floor for as a moisture barrier?

I live in northern VT and we're re-finishing our basement. Our basement is cool and damp but no water or excess moisture. We will be spray foaming the walls and I also want to put down a moisture barrier on the floor which will be carpeted. I can't put down anything too thick due to the stairs but I want something durable and also not slippery due to the carpet. I'm wondering if I can you GRACE Ice and Water Shield (or similar roofing underlayment) as a moisture barrier. I also like the fact that it has an adhesive so it will stay in place.

Asked by Willy1
Posted Apr 16, 2018 11:04 AM ET
Edited Apr 16, 2018 11:21 AM ET

1.

Willy,

See this statement from the Grace website: Due to its slight asphaltic odor, do not apply where the membrane is exposed to interior living space. Refer to product literature for more complete information.

Answered by Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia
Posted Apr 16, 2018 11:24 AM ET

2.

Willy,
I can think of a few reasons why you might want to think twice about your plan.

The first concerns possible odor issues. It's possible that Ice & Water Shield might have a funny smell that isn't desirable indoors. (The manufacturer doesn't intend the product to be used indoors.)

While it's true that Ice & Water Shield will prevent upward evaporation from a damp slab, it won't do anything to limit summer condensation. During the summer, indoor air is often warm and humid, while slabs are cold. You might end up with summertime condensation on the interior side of the Ice & Water Shield.

In short, polyethylene and a continuous layer of horizontal rigid foam make more sense.

Posted Apr 16, 2018 11:25 AM ET

2 or 3 Coat Traditional Stucco Application with Drain Cavity

In General questions | Asked by DarrenKC | Apr 19, 18

Is Rmax Thermasheath-XP an acceptable alternative to Dow Thermax?

In Building Code Questions | Asked by NatePa | Apr 19, 18

Minisplit for a small room

In Mechanicals | Asked by James Howison | Apr 18, 18

Roof/Ceiling R-Value Requirement

In Building Code Questions | Asked by rodrob15 | Apr 19, 18

Wall assembly for an old church in Vermont

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Robert Swinburne | Apr 18, 18