GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Double stud wall sheathing / air sealing

Corcakalaka | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments/advice.

I am in the framing stage of residential home in central NC (Zone 4A). The exterior walls have been designed as a double-stud 2×4 assembly.

The interior double stud has been spec’d to be sheathed with 1/2 in CDX w/ taped joints and r-15 Roxul batts, cavity insulation as dense-pack cellulose to r-20, and exterior double stud finished off with another 1/2in CDX, followed by WRB, 1/2″ vertical furring for rainscreen, 3/8″ horizontal furring (to accomodate for Hardie board and batt siding.

Although I was not responsible for the design of the home, as project manager I am responsible for implementing this design into a well built assembly.

My questions are:

1. Could the exterior wall’s sheathing be changed to ZipSystem and eliminate the need for a WRB and rainscreen? (This would be preferred, if possible)

2. If the Zip is used on the exterior double stud would air sealing/taping the interior sheathed wall still be necessary?

3. If we did end up having to use a conventional, sheet type WRB could we eliminate the need of a rain screen by using Tyvek DrainWrap or HydroGap.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Corca,
    First of all, can you tell us your name?

A rainscreen gap provides many useful functions. Installing Zip sheathing doesn't allow you to skip the rainscreen gap. (I suppose you can eliminate the rainscreen gap if you want, but the wall won't perform as well if you do.)

For more information on rainscreens, see All About Rainscreens.

A rainscreen gap is particularly important for double-stud walls, since it's important with this type of wall to have a mechanism to help the damp wall sheathing dry quickly in the springtime. For more information on this issue, see How to Design a Wall.

You didn't really explain where the two layers of 1/2-inch CDX plywood will be. It sounds like the outer layer of plywood will be on the exterior side of the outer 2x4 wall. But what about the inner layer of plywood? Will it be on the exterior side of the inner 2x4 wall, or will it be on the interior side of the inner 2x4 wall?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Corca,
    While the manufacturer of Zip sheathing allows builders to skip the housewrap when using Zip sheathing, some builders still install housewrap or asphalt felt as a WRB -- even when they use Zip sheathing -- because these membrane-style materials allow the WRB to be lapped over flashings, shingle-style (something you can't do with Zip sheathing alone). For more information, see All About Water-Resistive Barriers.

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

Corca,

"1/2" vertical furring for rainscreen, 3/8" horizontal furring (to accomodate for Hardie board and batt siding."

Can you clarify why the second layer of furring is necessary? Hardie-board and batten siding can be installed on vertical furring. if for some other reason it is necessary, the horizontal furring needs to be thicker. 3/8" will bow back between the vertical supports.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Corca,
    Q. "If the Zip is used on the exterior double stud would air sealing/taping the interior sheathed wall still be necessary?"

A. If you care about reducing air leakage, it usually makes sense to have redundant air barriers, so yes -- an interior air barrier would be a good idea. But ultimately, the answer to this question depends on your air leakage targets and your budget. For more information on this issue, see One Air Barrier or Two?

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Corca,
    Q. "If we did end up having to use a conventional, sheet type WRB could we eliminate the need of a rain screen by using Tyvek DrainWrap or HydroGap?"

A. Wrinkled housewraps provide some drainage, but almost no ventilation drying. If the purpose of your rainscreen gap is to accelerate drying of damp sheathing, then a wrinkled wrap is inferior to a true rainscreen gap. For more information, see All About Rainscreens.

6. Corcakalaka | | #6

Thanks for the replies, guys!
    Mr. Holliday- 1. My name is Corey Eshelman
    2. The CDX on the interior stud wall is installed on the exterior side of said wall.
    3. Thanks for the reference articles, I will get to reading them immediately.
    Mr. Taylor- I honestly cannot clarify why the secondary layer of furring is called for, it is just how the plans show it. I am pushing the designers to allow us to use a single layer of 1/2 in vertical coravent.

So then, gentlemen. Would it behoove us (the build team) to do away with the Zip and proceed with 1/2" CDX>WRB>Vertical Rainscreen>Hardie? Is Tyvek a suitable material or should I look in to a ProClima product, or equivalent?

Thanks, Guys!

7. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #7

Corey,
    Q. "Would it behoove us (the build team) to do away with the Zip and proceed with 1/2" CDX>WRB>Vertical Rainscreen>Hardie?"

A. If I understand correctly, you aren't "doing away with the Zip," since evidently the architect specified 1/2-inch CDX plywood.

Q. "Is Tyvek a suitable material or should I look in to a ProClima product?"

A. Tyvek works fine as a WRB.

8. Corcakalaka | | #8

Mr. Holladay,

You are correct. And thanks for your valuable suggestions.

Corey

9. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #9

Corey,

You will be better off with 1/2" or 3/4" plywood strips tha Cor-a-Vent if you are using Hardie Panels and Battens. Shooting trim-nails through that much cement-based materials is a bit of a challenge at the best of times, but with the Cor-a-Vent you don't have anything solid to embed the fastener into until it reaches the sheathing. The nails securing the battens would be too long to use the trim-nailers you typically would.

Edit: This is a picture of a house I did with Hardie-Board and battens on vertical furring at 16" oc. The furring is located over the studs, the nails attaching the Hardie-Board get covered by the battens. The shingles above are cement-based too, fastened to the same battens.

10. Jon_R | | #10

You might review below to decide if you prefer Typar over Tyvek for lower perms.

https://buildingscience.com/documents/building-science-insights/bsi-061-inward-drive-outward-drying

Might also be of interest (even with your different design):

"Pressure treated strapping is only required in high rain areas, though it is recommended in all jurisdictions. "

https://static.rockwool.com/globalassets/rockwool-na/downloads/technical-guides/residential/comfortboard80_installation_techguide_en.pdf

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |