GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Bonfiglioli strapping size

PJClem | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Does anyone know why Bonfiglioli uses 1×3 straping instead of instead of 1×2?

In addition to additional cost, it requires 2 different assemblies: 1 centered for wall studs and 1 offset for plates and corners. The only functional benefit seems to be having additional nailing surface, which might be necessary given need to accommodate 4 mechanical fasteners: insulation to strap, then assembled furring to studs, then drywall to furring, and then trim/cabinetry/pictures on drywall.

Any concern with ripping down Zip-R to strips versus site-assembled?

The only differences I can come up with are assembly is fully adhered, OSB instead of lumber strap, strap has to be same width as insulation, and Polyiso not EPS

If Zip-R, with need for 1 less mechanical fastener, what size to rip strips?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

I have read that Zip-R is a practical option when using this method. (I believe Dana made this suggestion.)

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

P.J.,
    The main reasons why Bonfiglioli uses 1x3s, I suspect, is:

1. Most lumberyards don't sell 1x2s, and he didn't want to waste time ripping wide boards down to 2 inches on his tablesaw, and

2. If you use 1x2s, the boards are more likely to split when you install a fastener.

But if you have a ready source of 1x2s, and you can solve the splitting problem, 1x2s might work.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |