GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Like to replace existing antique 3 tube and fin radiators in my old house but I’m not sure how many BTU’s per foot they produce.

JamesRMillar | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Attachment shows 2 tube, 3 tube, and 4 tube (I’m not even sure what this style is called). I have the 3 tube arrangement throughout the house and I would like to be confident that when I upgrade, I’m getting more heat for each room in this 1650, modestly insulated, house.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

James,
    If you take off the cover and examine one of these radiators, do you see any marks to give you a clue? Perhaps a manufacturer's name?

2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

Those are the innards of cabinet type convectors. As shown in the picture they are rotated 90 degrees from how they sit in the enclosures.

If you measure the height & widths of the fins, and count the number of fins, and measure height & width of the enclosure they were in you can probably find a spec on a similar convector product. eg:

http://www.modinehvac.com/web/products/commercial-hydronic-equipment/convectors.htm

http://www.modinehvac.com/web/file?uuid=7ca61f5e-5554-4379-be2c-594b981a4614&owner=b7c1a0f1-c044-4ee5-aa41-9587d4a229d0&contentid=4026&name=AIR13-111.3_Convectors%2C_Technical_Manual.pdf

They are often specified for 215F steam and 200F entering water temperature (EWT), but the output can be inferred at other water temps:

At 180F EWT the output is about 80% of what it is at 200F EWT...

...at 140F EWT it's about 40% of the 200F EWT output spec...

... at 125F EWT (a good condensing boiler temp) it's about 25% of what it puts out with 200F EWT

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |