GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Does it make sense to use ICFs for a frost protected shallow foundation?

Ralph Hill | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I will be building a house near Amherst Ma. in an area with a high water table. FPSF seems like the way to go. ICFs are quick and easy. Is there any reason not to use them for this? Any opinions on insulation – xps or eps? Any recommendations on waterproof material under the slab? I have heard polyethylene gets brittle and breaks down over time.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-627789 | | #1

Hello, Ralph. Last year, I did what you propose on a small building in Maine, a new office for our small architecture firm. You can read about what I did here:

http://www.nesea.org/blog/2009/02/using-insulating-concrete-forms-to-make-a-frost-protected-slab-foundation/

Perhaps you'll find this helpful. Please note that if I were doing this again, I would carefully calculate the structural loads bearing on the perimeter of the slab, and determine if I could place foam insulation underneath the slab perimeter. In some cases, you might be able to do this, which will increase the energy efficiency of the slab.

2. Riversong | | #2

A shallow, frost-protected (SFP) foundation requires a well-drained soil base. With a high water table and silty or clay soils, I would not recommend it (soil with more than 5% silt is frost-active, particularly with a high water table). You may be better off with a full frost-wall with careful perimeter drainage and gravel backfill.

If you want to use a SFP foundation, be sure to read the Revised Builders Guide from the NAHB Research Center http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/DesignGuides/revisedFPSFguide.pdf

You can use ICFs for a perimeter grade beam if they are made from XPS (make sure there is sufficient soil-bearing surface of the concrete core to support the structural live and dead loads of the building) and then pour a "floating" slab inside over well-compacted gravel fill with radon vent, TuTuff reinforced vapor barrier, and 2" of XPS (EPS is not suitable for below-grade applications). And then parge the exterior exposed foam with a cementious coating (I use surface-bonding cement with acrylic modifier over galvanized hardware cloth).

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |