GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to insulate a steel joist floor?

user-231615 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have 3000 feet of 12 inch, galvanized 10 gauge steel joists. I plan to use them in my otherwise wood framed house. What is the best way to insulate? I am considering 3″ foam either on top on under joists. I want to avoid thermal bridging.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. MICHAEL CHANDLER | | #1

I'd recommend an insulated, sealed crawl. Which doesn't answer your question I know, and I'm sorry but there is really no easy way to insulate steel joists so the solution is to re-locate the thermal envelope to the perimeter.

The advantage is that you bring your infrastructure into the envelope and use less insulation in that the crawlspace walls are generally less SF than the building floor. https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/green-basics/crawl-spaces will get you started.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |