We're building a new addition in New England to include existing concrete garage floor and frost walls.

Also a new crawl space comprised of new frost walls and dust slab. Using 2x10 floor joists which will only leave about 10" above garage floor, but 49" in new crawl space.
Wondering about access to crawl space after completion. Interior access through finished floor impractical, so exterior access panel suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

Asked by Anonymous
Posted Nov 27, 2009 12:51 PM ET
Edited Nov 28, 2009 5:39 AM ET

1.

I think more information is needed here. Do you plan to have any wiring, plumbing, or ductwork in the 10" crawlspace? any insulation between the joists? any moisture issues? will code in your area require that any floor joists within 18" of the slab be pressure treated? any concerns about animals getting in there from outside? can the 10" crawl be accessed from the 49" crawl? I don't know of any inspectors who would allow a 10" x 30" access panel as sole access to a crawl such as this so your best possibility is to provide a 30"x30" access into the 49" crawl and open access the length of the 10" crawl from that.

Answered by Michael Chandler, GBA Advisor
Posted Nov 29, 2009 1:25 AM ET

2.

I have had my door supplier modify an insulated exterior door to the size required for crawlspace access, this door can be locked.

Answered by Doug McEvers
Posted Nov 29, 2009 9:21 AM ET

Will adding rigid foam insulation to the inside and outside of my d-log house cause mold?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Judith Blythe | Mar 3, 15

Will a smart vapor retarder offer enough moisture protection to be used for bathroom walls?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Dave Brooks | Mar 4, 15

Remote cabin exterior wall design.

In Green building techniques | Asked by J. Bishop | Mar 4, 15

Airspace for solar barrier

In General questions | Asked by Phillip Ragan | Mar 4, 15

Connecting ICF Foundation Wall + Timber Frame / SIP?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Jeremy Mayhew | Mar 3, 15