GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

We’re building a new addition in New England to include existing concrete garage floor and frost walls.

GBA Editor | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Also a new crawl space comprised of new frost walls and dust slab. Using 2×10 floor joists which will only leave about 10″ above garage floor, but 49″ in new crawl space.
Wondering about access to crawl space after completion. Interior access through finished floor impractical, so exterior access panel suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies

1. MICHAEL CHANDLER | | #1

I think more information is needed here. Do you plan to have any wiring, plumbing, or ductwork in the 10" crawlspace? any insulation between the joists? any moisture issues? will code in your area require that any floor joists within 18" of the slab be pressure treated? any concerns about animals getting in there from outside? can the 10" crawl be accessed from the 49" crawl? I don't know of any inspectors who would allow a 10" x 30" access panel as sole access to a crawl such as this so your best possibility is to provide a 30"x30" access into the 49" crawl and open access the length of the 10" crawl from that.

2. Doug McEvers | | #2

I have had my door supplier modify an insulated exterior door to the size required for crawlspace access, this door can be locked.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |