We're building a new addition in New England to include existing concrete garage floor and frost walls.

Also a new crawl space comprised of new frost walls and dust slab. Using 2x10 floor joists which will only leave about 10" above garage floor, but 49" in new crawl space.
Wondering about access to crawl space after completion. Interior access through finished floor impractical, so exterior access panel suggestions appreciated.
Thanks.

Asked by Anonymous
Posted Nov 27, 2009 1:51 PM ET
Edited Nov 28, 2009 6:39 AM ET

1.

I think more information is needed here. Do you plan to have any wiring, plumbing, or ductwork in the 10" crawlspace? any insulation between the joists? any moisture issues? will code in your area require that any floor joists within 18" of the slab be pressure treated? any concerns about animals getting in there from outside? can the 10" crawl be accessed from the 49" crawl? I don't know of any inspectors who would allow a 10" x 30" access panel as sole access to a crawl such as this so your best possibility is to provide a 30"x30" access into the 49" crawl and open access the length of the 10" crawl from that.

Answered by Michael Chandler, GBA Advisor
Posted Nov 29, 2009 2:25 AM ET

2.

I have had my door supplier modify an insulated exterior door to the size required for crawlspace access, this door can be locked.

Answered by Doug McEvers
Posted Nov 29, 2009 10:21 AM ET

I am thinking of an unvented cathedral ceiling

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mike Tomlinson | Jun 24, 16

Atlas ThermalStar X-Grade Reviews?

In Green products and materials | Asked by michael Iacona | Jun 24, 16

Footing to foundation capillary break

In Green building techniques | Asked by Steve Wilson | Jun 24, 16

Upgrading a crappy HVAC setup

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Matt Culik | Jun 24, 16

I'm chemically sensitive and the neighbor uses lots of pesticides that make me ill

In Interior design | Asked by Brenda Koehlert | Jun 24, 16