GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Will a wall furnace meet the energy code if heating many rooms?

GBA Editor | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

A mechanical contractor suggests heating a 1,000 sq. ft. 3-bedroom condo with a wall furnace installed in the main room. The heat will be transferred to other rooms by the installation of through-the-wall fans. There will be one thermostat on the furnace. Will this meet any kind of energy code? This is in Massachusetts.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Riversong | | #1

Energy codes specify the thermal efficiency of the envelope, not the heating plant. If it's a direct-vent, sealed-combustion unit that's sized for the design heat load of the space, then it should be adequate. If you're running fans continuously for heat distribution, make sure they're extremely efficient and quiet like the computer fans often used for this purpose. And make sure there's a return path for the air, such as undercut doors or transoms.

2. homedesign | | #2

Joe,
    I thought this was an interesting question.
    I live in a mixed climate and the forced air HVAC systems that we typically use are costly, big honkin "monsters".

I would think that a well designed(sun friendly) home with a good enclosure could provide comfort with one or two ductless minisplits combined with some type of strategy that provides distribution of conditioned air.

The distribution might be accomplished with efficient room to room fans as Joe is considering and/or...
    distributed with the(fresh air) ventilation air stream.(Passivhaus-like ventilation)

Of course as Robert says.. there must be a path.

Is anyone else doing this or considering this?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

John,
    I've lived that way for over thirty years.
    One woodstove in the living room heats a house with three bedrooms and a home office.

4. homedesign | | #4

Martin,
    I believe I remember you bringing up your setup once before.
    (I can not remember which blog)
    And I believe you also said that your bedrooms tend to get cold if you do not leave the doors open.
    Did I remember that right?
    Do you have door transoms, transfer grilles or some type of jump ducts?

5. homedesign | | #5

Martin,
    I located the blog
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/heating-tight-well-insulated-house
    Your comments were from Nov 12

I also noticed that I brought up this subject at least once before.
    Man, I really do want to get rid of the big honkin HVAC

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

John,
    I could easily install passive floor registers (holes in the floor) if I wanted to.

The bedrooms are sometimes (when outdoor temperatures are between 5°F and -40°F) cool, not cold.

Everyone in my family likes to sleep cool, so we've never cut holes in the floor.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |