GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

ICFs

GBA Editor | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m interested in ICFs primarily to build foundations for new residential homes. I don’t know about using them for the walls of an entire house, but it seems good to use them in foundations, especially as I get more convinced that crawlspace ventilation does not seem necessary in most climates. Building footings with protruding rebar, then stacking ICFs for the rest of the foundation seems so much easier than wood or plywood forming. Then clean and cover the interior earth with ground barrier…..frame without the need for floor insulation, etc. One important question is pest barriers for the foam on the ICFs. And of course, ‘plastering’ the exterior portions for looks. Any articles or references on this topic would be appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
  2. Riversong | | #2

Ed,

If you're looking for quick and easy, why not a shallow, frost-protected foundation? Less excavation. You can form the grade beams yourself (and even re-use the formwork as framing in the house). And, if you want an insulated crawlspace, you can use the Thermomass system with up to 4" of XPS sandwiched inside of the concrete so that no covering or finishing is required.

3. Ed Welch | | #3

Thanks Martin...and Robert,

I do want an insulated crawlspace. I will explore the Thermomass system...and explore the shallow, frost-protected foundation. I'm not too familiar with either so any links to that would be appreciated.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |