GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating a 150-year-old house

GBA Editor | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am gutting a 150 year old balloon-frame house in Vermont with board sheathing, I am going to add a second row of studs or 1 1/2″ horizontal strapping to the walls, blow in cellulose, and use airtight drywall. Should I do anything to seal the cold side of the wall? Tyvek on the inside of the sheathing?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Riversong | | #1

What kind of siding do you have? Is there a felt or building paper weather barrier between the siding and the sheathing?

With all framing penetrations sealed and ADA on the interior with dense-pack in the walls you don't need an additional air barrier on the outside, but you must make sure that the wall is well protected from rain infiltration, properly sealed and flashed.

Where in VT are you? I'm in Warren if you'd like additional assistance.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |