GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Installing Fiber Cement Siding over Rigid Foam

aMmB72wGds | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Does anyone have a best practice recommendation for installing fiber cement siding over rigid foam?

I know that the typical recommendation when installing exterior foam (1″ or more) is to place 1×3 furring strips on top of the rigid foam and then attach the siding to the furring strips. However, James Hardie and Certainteed both seem to recommend at least 1 1/2″ of nail penetration when attaching their fiber cement siding (I believe the warranty is voided if you do not follow this spec). If installing their fiber cement siding directly over rigid foam they do not recommend any more than 1″ of rigid foam and they seem to prefer no more than 1/2″ of rigid foam (the main concern being that the nails will sag if driven through anything thicker than 1″ of rigid foam).

Also, will fiber cement siding have any waviness when installed over furring strips (it seems very thin and flexible)?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Riversong | | #1

Follow the manufacturer's installation specifications or use a different siding.

2. Darin Frerichs | | #2

James Hardie has a letter on their website that approves the use of their siding product over 1x furring strips with a required nail/screw length. Certainteed has not approved this means of construction yet. I would think they would want to test their product on these meanse to stay ahead of the game. Rainscreens are the wave of the future.

3. Riversong | | #3

Rainscreens are the wave of the future.

Rainscreens are the rave of the present, along with Ice and Water Shield on every conceivable building surface or opening.

They are both overused and poorly understood, and can create as many problems as they are intended to solve.

I tend to avoid them both, and have been building durable homes for more than 30 years with time-proven methods and materials.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |