What's the best WRB option when using foam to insulate your structure / sheathing?

I'm most concerned about the critical details around windows. I plan to use OSB or plywood sheathing coated with StoGuard as the building's air barrier. This will be covered by Tyvek Drainwrap, followed by two layers of taped foam insulation (XPS or Polyiso). Finally, I'll have an airgap between the foam and siding (i.e. furred fiber cement). What is the safest option for windows: 1) Use Drainwrap as WRB, flash windows to wrap, then use exterior trim? 2) Use foam as WRB, extend window box flush with foam, install and flash flanged windows to foam? 3) Install building paper on top of the foam, flash to this layer? (Note: Picton Brothers used this third option on their LEED house).

Asked by Anonymous
Posted Apr 24, 2010 11:15 AM ET

1.

I forgot to provide a context for the project:

The location is the Shenandoah Valley, VA in a mixed-humid climate. It's in Zone 4, but near the border of Zone 5. The closest climate data point is Staunton, with 5447 HDD and 622 CDD (65 F base). The annual rainfall places it in the High exposure category.

I would like to hear from builders and designers that have hands-on experience with exterior foam insulation. I'm leary about the water management details with foam, leary about condensation potential without foam! I know these are no easy answers and the installation details can have a dramatic effect on whether any of these systems will be successful. That said, I would like to approach the project with the best possible strategy.

Answered by Daniel Ernst
Posted Apr 24, 2010 2:38 PM ET

2.

Looks like I may have found part of my answer here (this site has A LOT of material to sift through)!

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/innie-windows-or-...

Answered by Daniel Ernst
Posted Apr 24, 2010 6:02 PM ET

3.

Daniel,
I'm glad you found a helpful blog.

Any one of your listed options will work, as long as you get the details right. It sounds like you're on your way to building a wall that will perform well. Good luck.

Posted Apr 26, 2010 7:11 AM ET

Heat Pump +/- gas furnace

In Mechanicals | Asked by Kevin Spellman | Jan 17, 18

Can Foil Faced Poly-Iso be used on the Interior Side of a CMU Wall in South Florida

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by cevhh | Jan 17, 18

Thought experiment: 30k cistern as thermal mass in passive home

In PassivHaus | Asked by Mike AbiEzzi | Jan 9, 18

hydronic floor heat boiler... also for domestic hot water supply?

In General questions | Asked by Benjamin Wooten | Jan 17, 18

What should I replace my heating and cooling system with?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Jill D | Jan 17, 18