GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Has anyone done a cost difference interior/exterior energy effeciency retrofit?

eaautomation66 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hot climate!
Exterior: Remove brick, add something to the slab to move the brick step out to new location, add two layers 1-1/2″ ridged insulation re-brick
Interior: remove existing gyp wall, add 2×4 stick wall with new 2×4 offset from existing studs to minimize direct connect heat path from outside. move existing batt insulation to the attic, move existing electrical to new studs, add closed cell expanding foam insulation, re-gyp/tape paint, trim.

Lossing 4″ of living space at each wall.
I’m looking at this currently at a 60,000 ft level to determine weather either will be looked into further or just wait until PV gets cheaper.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Armando Cobo | | #1

Eric,
    I would be happy with 2-1” rigid insulation on the outside and 4” of cellulose on the inside; that’s ±R24 wall assembly, that’s good, and it would allow your wall to dry to the inside. If you are in humid climate as well, make sure you install a dehumidifier. Also, you could install 2x2s @ 24” o.c. horizontally, adds 2” more of insulation for ±R31. I would spend my money on the attic or roof insulation and better windows first.

On the brick, have you thought about the cost of using thin brick veneer vs. digging and pouring a new brick ledge, or even using a different type of cladding like stucco or fiber cement bd.?

I’ve searched for quite some time the structural capabilities of attaching cladding over more than 2” of rigid insulation and have not found a single study to support it. I’ve talked to two commercial brick ties manufacturers that would not guaranteed their products in such applications, but as a precaution they said, with great QC it can be done making sure all ties are in the studs at least twice the length than the length on the foam. In NM, the state code prohibits the installation of cladding (stucco generally) over more than 2” rigid insulation without an engineer report. Most builders I know have walked away from this practice. It all has to do with the rigid insulation not been able to support the cladding weight through the foam and the ties “bending”.

2. Daniel Ernst | | #2

Eric - I'm not entirely clear on your question. If you are considering the costs between interior and exterior methods, my "shoot from the hip" answer is that the interior renovation would be cheaper AND more cost effective.

As Armando said, you might consider other options first. Air sealing the existing structure, improving your ceiling / attic insulation, replacing windows, etc. Gutting walls is expensive anywhichway you cut it!

Waiting for PV costs to drop is not the answer. PV is extremely expensive. It's doubtful that we'll ever see a day when PV will affordably power a building that is not first made to be efficient in its use of that energy - whether it's by reducing your plug / appliance load or improving your insulation level.

Whatever you decide, remember that as you add insulation to the wall cavity you reduce the drying potential. Adding insulation without airsealing first could also lead to increased risk of condensation (likely on the interior surfaces in your climate).

Armando - Have you seen this product?

http://www.heckmannbuildingprods.com/PWing75.htm

They primarily sell to the commercial market. Their Pos-I-Tie is designed for exterior insulation up to 3 1/2" thick (plus 1/2" sheathing). The shaft and pintle tie are available in both galvanized and stainless versions. They're not cheap (> $3 / each for stainless), but they are significantly stronger than the corrugated ties used in most residential projects. As to code requirements, I'm sure they vary from state to state.

3. Armando Cobo | | #3

Thank you Daniel. I had not seen heckmann's and seems to work great on brick veneer applications up to the 3 1/2" of rigid bd., however it doesn't help in siding or stucco applications, also it appears to be rather expensive, ouch!!! Eric may have to bite the bullet to do it right.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |