GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Energy efficiency and quality of life in a northern exposure lake house? Or pick a different view?

GBA Editor | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Exposure as it relates to energy efficiency and guality of life
We are trying to decide on 1 of 3 lots to buy for our first lake house. This will be a permanent residence. Likely a 2000 sq foot ranch style home with a walkout, and 1500 feet or so of finished sq footage on the lower level. The house will have a sandy beach and the lots all slope perfectly back with a level beach. The only difference between the lots are the direction of the water, and of course the direction of the back of the house whereby most of the living on both floors is likely to take place as well as deck and patio exposure. Quality of life relates to the view and the ease in which we are comfortable living both inside and outside of the house. We live in Nebraska and it can get both cold and hot. The 3 extreme months in winter are very cold. I have never liked a Northern exposed back of the house for this reason. We have 3 lots to choose from. The best view is the lot facing North, meaning the front door faces south, and the majority of the living will take place with a northern exposure, including the deck, patio, and beach. It is perfectly north, and abuts out in a peninsula fashion at the tip of a circle . The other two lots sit on either side. One’s living and beach faces mainly East . The third lot faces mainly Northwest to West. It is the largest of the three, but not by much. There are other things to consider, but mainly I feel I should be picking my location based on summer months, because that is when we will be outside the most. However the view will always be there. Additionally, the developer tells me to use butted glass to get the best views.

Your thoughts and comments on both energy efficiency and quality of life would be most appreciated.

Thanks
( I posted this same question in the general area as well)

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Shoresea,
    Your choice, of course. It sounds like you have already decided: "I have never liked a northern exposed back of the house for this reason." So get the one that faces east.

2. Canan | | #2

We have a house with east exposure: main yard and outside eating areas and so on along with all the windows and main entry looking east. By about 1 pm the entire east side is in the shadow of the building. In the summer that is nice because we appreciate the coolness. However winter or summer the house itself does not benefit at all from the sun, neither light nor warmth :-( for me next house will be with better exposure, preferably south or south west, at the least west.

Check for trees, and the potential of the shadow your house is going to make on your living areas. I hope this helps,

good luck,

Canan

3. shoresea | | #3

Hi Martin-
    I have never had a beautiful lake in my backyard, which is all new to consider. It is due to this website and the fact that materials can play a role in keeping me warm, that I pose this question. I hear alot about the advantages of cross breezes in north south exposed houses. The advantage to having a south driveway is huge here. So those are two areas pointing in favor of the north exposure. Additionally, having a deck with a cover over it, can play a role in warmth in the winter, or am I wrong?

We owne a south exposure house once with a swimming pool. It was very hot and humid. I really like the idea of a north facing beach, as long as the experts think with newer window technology and a cover over the deck, that a) it wont feel too cold in the winter and b) it wont feel too shaded in the summer. The nicest thing about this lot is we can see 180 degrees out to either side and could watch the sun rise and the sun set.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Shoresea,
    It's impossible for anyone to evaluate your site without a site visit. Only you can evaluate it.

Don't be hung up with old-fashioned ideas about your "front yard" and "back yard." Even if you enter your home from the south, there's no reason you can't use your south yard on days when you want to enjoy the sun. If your south yard seems too exposed to the road to feel private, perhaps you can plant a cedar hedge to provide privacy from passing cars (if the lot is big enough).

It's also possible to put just a few strategically placed windows on the north side — enough to get glimpses of the beautiful lake, without overwhelming the view with an oversized picture window. (Japanese architects are masters at emplolying this trick — a window that gives you a glimpse of a spectacular view, without overdoing it.) You can still place most of your windows on the south.

Finally, you should probably invest in triple-glazed windows, if not for all your windows, at least for those facing north. Your home can be warm and toasty, even with a few north-facing windows, as long as your glazing is spec'd right.

5. Canan | | #5

hi :-) allow me to share some amateur experiences from having lived on Chebacco Lake in Essex, MA for 20 years. Very cold winters (perhas not as Nebraska) and a rather short hot and humid summer. My house was 10 feet from the water; lake view and South South West exposure (on the back). And entry to the house, the driveway etc, on the North side (if we may call this the front), including my vegetable garden and extra leisure space.

As Martin suggests, we made use of all sides depending on the time of the day and the climate (winds, etc). In the winter the lake would freeze and the wind coming off of it would be rather cold so that is something to consider in planning out door use of your land. Despite that we would hold our ice skating parties with the bbq on the side of the house away from the wind. We had the luxury of seeing the sun rise and set followed by the moon rise and set all in the view of the lakeside "back yard". In the summers we made full use of the lakeside yard all day and into the night. Wished I had a screened in porch to keep the mosquitoes out but could not afford it.

From every room we had lovely views big or small of the lake and the yard, each providing a different sight almost like a different painting. Each season brought its beauty with changing colors, snow, early spring, fish spawning was a sight and a delight to hear. We'd wake up to the sound of boling water and know it was spawning time, the shore would look like it was bubbling :-) frozen lake also makes sounds! if you've never heard that before you are in for a surprize!

anyhoo, I am wasting greenadvice space with my romantic lake stories.

I wish you the best of luck in your decisions. With technology and creativity nothing is impossible. enjoy your lake

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |