GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is this wall system adequate for Zone 6a — maritime climate?

GBA Editor | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I would like to build a garage with 2″x6″x 10′ studs. From exterior to interior: 3/8″ ply siding, 3/8″ gap, Tyvek wrap, 1″ EPS board, 2″x6″ studs, 4″ EPS fitted between studs, 6-mil vapor barrier (called for by code), then drywall.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

James,
    As far as I know, there is no code anywhere in the country that requires an interior 6-mil poly vapor barrier.

Rather, the code requires a vapor retarder. Kraft facing or vapor-retarder paint can satisfy this requirement.

2. James | | #2

Martin,I should have stated I am in Canada.According to the building inspectors in Halifax,N.S.
    ,section 9:25:42 of code says 6mil.poly vapor barrier is standard. The question is "is this going to cause moisture issues."

3. Riversong | | #3

The question is "is this going to cause moisture issues."

Probably.

4. James | | #4

Thank you for response.I will have to find another solution.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |