GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the best way to insulate copper pipes?

GBA Editor | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Well my furnace died finally and I am replacing it with a Triangle Tube Solo 60. I figure I should insulate the pipes properly and there must be a better way then standard pipe insulation. I am not afraid to invest a little time to do a great job. Please advise and thank you in advance.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Riversong | | #1

I assume you meant that your boiler died, since you're replacing it with a high-efficiency boiler.

There is a wide variety of pipe insulations, but the most common is the split and pre-glued foam, which works well if tightly fitted and seams taped.

At least as important as installing pipe insulation is tightening up the building's envelope to reduce air leakage.

2. Jeffrey Polchinski | | #2

Thanks for the reply Robert. I have already worked hard on tightening the envelope. I added 12 inches of cellulose to my attic with a double cover sleeved and gasketed hatch. I added 6 inches of poly foam around my band joist. I used cans of spray foam around all outlets to airtight electrical boxes on three sides with gaskets behind the plates. I reduced the water temp of my old boiler from 210 to 175 degrees and put in a much smaller circulator to stop short cycling as well as maximize the temperature difference between supply and return temps. I also chased air leaks with a Black and Decked infrared temperature device and tightened some gaps in my sheathing, foamed windows and doors. All very revealing and fun to chase solutions. Combined I lowered my utilities just under 40%.
    I am trying to find a way to increase the efficiency of standard pipe insulation (R-2). I am in the homebuilding industry and have never seen anything besides pipe insulation or spray foam applied to plumbing pipes. I figure with the higher temperatures of water in heating and hot water lines a solution yielding higher than R-2 would be useful. Foam is not an option for this home. Any ideas? A reflective barrier?
    I cannot wait to dial in the Triangle Tube to maximize my savings this winter.

3. user-788447 | | #3

I've seen R-6.9 listed on Armacell's Armaflex insulation which is the type of common pipe insulation Robert has described above. This is a foam product; when you comment "foam is not an option for this home" I assume you are talking about spray foam however.

4. Riversong | | #4

It sounds as if you've covered all your bases. But why are you so concerned about insulating the hydronic pipes? Do they run through unconditioned space? If not, any heat loss will simply pass to the conditioned space. If so, perhaps you should condition the cold space.

5. rustyjames | | #5

Fiberglass insulation is typically used in commercial construction. There's also other types available:
    http://www.industrialinsulation.com/pipe_insulation.htm

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |