GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Cathedral Ceiling Insulation

ASzk8koMeC | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

In the April/May 2010 issue of Fine Homebuilding there was an article on Thermal Bridging by Martin Holladay. Included was a roof detail for limiting thermal bridging through cathedral ceiling rafters which applies to a remodeling project I am doing to my residence.Please provide information on the fasteners and procedures used to fasten the polyiso and then the furring strips to the ceiling rafters.

Thank you.

Fred Nazare

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. SLSTech | | #1

I use the ones from Windlock for insulation - http://www.wind-lock.com/ if required - generally just a foam adhesive for seams & temp hold until furring strips or sheathing is installed

McFeely's for furring or sheathing (HeadLok)

2. Riversong | | #2

Cap nails (with the plastic washers) or drywall screws through plaster washers work fine for temporary attachment of the foam board. Don't use any more fasteners than necessary to hold the rigid foam in place. All joints must be taped with foil tape and all edges to framing sealed with low expansion foam.

Then strapping can be applied with drywall screws or ring shank gun nails.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |