GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Parking on drain field

YPwYp6LWXm | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Is there a way to use a drain field as a parking space without compacting it?

Thanks—Greg

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. jklingel | | #1

In my limited experience w/ this, I would say you'd be fine if the drain field were at least 8' below grade. My line has been under my driveway for 30 yrs, and it is 10' deep in that portion, as per the engineer that helped me. So far, he is right, but that is for a line so it won't freeze due to compaction, not a drain field. I suspect most anyone will tell you "fergit it", as a cautious and reasonable approach.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Greg,
    You didn't mention what type of drain field, so I'll ask: is this a drain field for a residential septic system?

3. YPwYp6LWXm | | #3

Yes and it perks exelent. Fist sized rocks 50% and good soil. I was thinking of some sort of matt to distribute the load but that grass would grow through. Thanks for the input.

4. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #4

Greg, you might be able to park or drive on it if you use concrete chambers. You should talk to an engineer about your specific application.

5. user-757117 | | #5

Greg, I'm not sure what climate you're in...
    If it gets cold where you are, you'll want to leave a blanket of snow over the drainfield to help keep it from freezing.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |