GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Polyiso sheathing

bdrfab | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Most if not all references to polyiso sheathing on here seem to be towards the foil-faced variety as opposed to felt covered typically used in roofing. I’m curious: why? Is it because of the foil helping with radiation, tape sticking better, or what? Both types have the same insulating values/permeance, or no?

I was hoping to use it on my exterior walls, over the existing 1″ XPS, or is this a bad idea?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Aaron,
    1. Foil facing has two virtues: it acts as a radiant barrier (meaning that if the rigid foam is installed adjacent to an air space, the foil helps raise the R-value of the air space by about R-1 or at most R-2), and it helps prevent the evaporation of useful blowing-agent gases trapped in the foam. One other virtue of the foil-faced polyiso: it's usually easier to get, because it's the kind of polyiso that is most commonly available at lumberyards.

2. As long as you aren't installing the foam adjacent to an air space, the roofing polyiso performs just as well. Even if the foam is adjacent to an air space, the difference in R-value between the two products is small.

3. Installing polyiso over XPS is unusual, but there is no reason you can't do it. Just be sure that the combined R-values of your foam sheathing are adequate for your climate zone and wall thickness:
    Calculating the Minimum Thickness of Rigid Foam Sheathing.

2. bdrfab | | #2

Thanks Martin.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |