GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulation/fan

fall50 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Perhaps I’m overthinking this. In Minneapolis, climate zone 6A…….painted cedar siding, felt paper, 1×8 (plank board) sheathing, with balsam wool insulation in the walls.

Spurged for a Panasonic fan…….opening (cutout) for cylinder that protrudes through the sheathing is 9”, a lot larger cut out than the dinky little ones I have put in the past.

Anyways this got me thinking…with all the moisture drive and around the fan, with it pulling of course towards a exterior wall, and considering I have a 1′ radius around the fan exposed and able to insulate with any type of material I chose……What would be the ideal…scenario…..

I was thinking unfaced FG and then 1” XPS to the interior. I was planning on using canned foam to insulate the metal cylinder coming through the wall vs pipe insulation with the sleeve……. basically 2 options are FG with XPS interior to that or straight FG Suggestions?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

M.S.,
    1. Yes, you are overthinking this.

2. I vote for canned spray foam.

3. Whatever you do, air tightness matters more than insulation type.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |